Shop for Dallas Cowboys gear at Fanatics.com

13-3 Record Not Good Enough Cowboys Still Gets No Respect

Maybe I am not as pessimistic as some, maybe I have my fan blinders on and fail to see the light that reporters have omnipotently reported to be there, but I don’t get why the Cowboys are still not being respected going into the Divisional Round of the Playoffs.

Watching reports on ESPN, and various sports websites to include the Dallas Morning News, and you get several stats pointed out to you. The Cowboys are 1-2 in their last three games, or they are 2-2 in the month of December. Would it be impossible to say the Cowboys are 3-2 in their last five games, or maybe even, God forbid, 13-3 on the season tying them with Green Bay in the NFC for best record?

The Cowboys are 13-3, they lead the NFC in scoring, they have beaten the NY Giants twice already this season, and have put up at least 20 points a game with the exception of two games. That’s not to say that their 13-3 record or sweep of the Giants in the regular season guarantees a victory this Sunday, but it should at least be mentioned.

Through out the history of the NFL only 56 teams have had a chance to beat an opponent three times in the season, and only 11 of those teams actually did it. The Cowboys will have their work cut out for them; this is true, but another thing going unmentioned is that the Cowboys have been doing things all season long that no other Cowboys team has been able to do.

What other Cowboys QB has thrown for over 4000 yards in a single season? What other receiver has caught 15 touchdown passes? What other Dallas tight end has caught 96 receptions in a season and gained 1145 yards? None, other than the 2007 Cowboys’ Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, and Jason Witten. In fact only one other Cowboys team (the 1992 Cowboys) has ended the season with the same record as the 2007 Cowboys at 13-3. So why can’t the Cowboys beat the Giants a third time to be only the 12th team to sweep an opponent three games in a season?

Now I’ll grant a few things. The Cowboys will have to be hungry for the win. They’ll have to come out ready to stop the Giants offense at tall cost. They’ll have to be clicking on offense and hoping that Terrell Owens will be ready to return in time for Sunday’s kickoff. Though, if Terrell Owens is out, that may not mean the end of the Dallas Cowboys, but then the Cowboys will be completely reliant on the progress of Terry Glenn.

All of the negative attention on the Cowboys so far in the post season reminds me of the old Rodney Dangerfield saying, “I get no respect,” because clearly the Cowboys are getting no respect after getting to 13 and 3. If the Cowboys get one more first though, maybe they’ll finally get the respect they deserve.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Cowboys Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

9 Responses to “13-3 Record Not Good Enough Cowboys Still Gets No Respect”

1. gEErOj says:

I don’t get it either. The media revels in the glory of the Packers as if they’re the best team in the NFC, completely ignoring the fact that they got hammered by the Bears 35-7 in their second to last game when home field advantage was still on the line. To be honest w/ you I hope they continue to be disrespected. It will give them an edge.

2. Nate Acreman says:

Or how about the Giants and Eli suddenly becoming the next best team in the NFC? You would think they beat the best NFC team in the NFL this weekend. It was the Bucs. They had a good season, playing the NFC South, so did everyone else who played against the NFC South.

3. Sam says:

I think a lot has to do with our team’s performance against the Redskins and of course, the Eagles earlier. Losing with such a margin against the Redskins, without a single touchdown was not becoming of a team of our caliber. But hopefully we can do better on Sunday.

I too personally don’t care about what the media thinks as long as we are progressing toward the big goal!!!

4. firerobin says:

Well, I think the fact that that Dallas hasn’t won a playoff game in over a decade has the most to do with the lack of respect. I think once we win strong against the Giants on Sunday — the respect will come.

5. gEErOj says:

A lot of this also has to do w/ Owens. If he is not there than they’re a completely different football team. I’d like to believe that Glenn could now step in and have the same level of impact but I ‘m not going to fool myself into believing that. This game is going to be very tough if they have to go w/ out Owens, (whom it looks more and more like he wont’ be able to go, at least not 100%) and thus why so many of the sports writers think this team is going to loose on Sunday.

This brings me back to a thought I’ve had for a few seasons now; the Cowboys have got to find themselves a young Wide Out for the future. At 34 both Owens and Glenn may not be able to go an entire season injury free anymore. They need to bring in a young star into groom under these guys while they’re still here. Crayton is young but I don’t ever see him developing into a number 1 guy as he’s really more of a solid number 2.

6. Sam says:

Thought this was pretty funny. Wish someone would show this to Romo to fire him up a little :-).

7. Jack says:

Everyone knows the Cowboys went 13-3, so you don’t restate the obvious, but I bet you fans of the raiders, Browns or Chargers don’t know that the Cowboys went 1-2 in their final 3 games because they didn’t care. That is why you point that out to everyone. It is not a good thing to head into the playoffs the way the Cowboys did, and the way they played against the Giants proved it. They will most definitely be in the playoffs again next year, but if they are a truly good team, they will find a way to win the important games, and not just the ones during the regular season. By the way, in case you couldn’t tell, I am not a fan of the Cowboys or any other NFC team for that matter. The AFC is superior to the NFC!

8. adrian juarez says:

the 2007 regular game loss you can blame it on patrick crayton by jinxing it in a interview before the game!!!!!